Culture Change Consulting Services Overview
Sustaining Long Term Success
Transforming and Protecting a High Performance Culture
Arguably, organizational culture represents the collective behavior, thinking and feeling of people that are part of an organization. Research shows that organizational culture directly impacts the bottom line. Kotter and Heskett studied 207 U.S. companies in a mix of 22 industries over an 11-year period. They found that companies which managed their cultures well saw revenue increase of 682% compared to 166% increase for companies that did not manage their cultures well.
Example characteristics of a high performance culture:
- A leadership philosophy that embraces customer focus, innovation to drive efficiency and continuous performance improvement
- A strategic plan which aligns mission and vision, with key global, regional and local business objectives, individual performance objectives and resource allocations
- Talented, committed and engaged leaders, managers and individual contributors
- Values data drive decisions, open communication, removing barriers, servant leadership, teamwork and inclusion off all levels of the organization
WGA’s Culture Change Consulting Service Offerings
WGA Consulting can help renovate your organization through the establishment of a strategic high performance culture which will maximize business productivity and outperform competitors.
Team culture also plays a critical role in the innovative nature and success of an organization. Teams in your organization can interact to drive performance or failure. WGA can help ensure the efficient operation of teams through the following services:
Team Building Workshops
Team spirit and support foster team member satisfaction, motivation, and cohesiveness. Through tailored team building activities, WGA can create team unity and commitment to ensure high levels of team performance and project success.
Awareness of team dynamics and issues hindering effective performance can help teams overcome barriers and grow to be a high performing team. Using observational data, focus groups, and surveys, WGA can identify root cause of team issues and create an executable action plan to address team conflict.
High functioning teams are balanced in the sense that team members complement each other’s strengths and weaknesses. The survey identifies roles of team members to ensure each “role” is fulfilled and helps individual team members manage their weaknesses and work their strengths to reduce interpersonal conflict.
Understanding Culture Change
Basic Culture Change concepts:
- What is Culture?
- Cultures Can Help or Hurt?
- Culture Misconceptions
- Culture Change; Do’s and Don’ts
What is Culture?
Organizational Culture is socially transmitted behavior patterns, beliefs, and thought characteristics of a specific group.
Cultures often go unnoticed – until we try to implement a new strategy or program which is incompatible with the central norms and values.
There are two components of culture.
Behaviors are easier to change versus Values, Culture is driven and modeled by leadership and Managerial behavior is shaped by corporate culture, structure, systems, policies, competition and regulatory pressures
- Shared Values – What is important in life runs deep and is less visible in an organization
- Group Behavior Norms – Behavior patterns that new employees are automatically encouraged to follow
Cultures Can Help or Hurt?
- Changing behaviors and values is particularly difficult for companies that have had a prolonged period of success
- Creating, shaping and maintaining a culture is an ongoing effort
- Culture can have a significant impact on performance
- The best culture change efforts focus on enhancing performance … are operationally driven … and have measurable results
Culture Change Misconceptions
Some associate “strong” cultures with high performance. Perceived benefits include, 1) Goal alignment – everyone marches to the same drummer, 2) High motivation – shared values and behaviors lead to feeling good about work and 3)Structure & controls – replaces stifling formal bureaucracy
- However, studies show many correlations of “strong” cultures with low performers. 1) Strong cultures can lead a firm into decline, as well as success, 2) Some long term performers success reinforced the culture … but led to arrogant, inwardly focused, politicized and bureaucratic behaviors that blinded management from changing business strategies
Culture Change Consulting: Do’s and Don’ts
- Creating an environment to support operational excellence
Winning the hearts and minds of the organization to make the changes last
Fear, uncertainty and doubt about rumors and what it all means
Concurrent competing initiatives coupled with frequent priority changes
The accelerated pace, urgency and timeline
Early and frequent engagement by all levels of management
Personnel must commit significant portion of their time to improvement efforts
Gaining “buy-in” and commitment by internal customers and service partners to collaborate on changes and accept changes in responsibility
Morale will be impacted by the burden and degree of culture change
Direct tangible ROI on culture change may not be realized for 18 months
Day-to-day performance will be impacted before, during and after culture change efforts are completed
Additional resources to support backfill of operational duties may be required
WGA’s Sustainable Culture Change 4Rs™
WGA’s 4Rs™ culture change consulting methodology is the culmination of years of proven and successful client deployments and traditional academic models.
Phases of Culture Change Consulting: WGA’s Sustainable Culture Change 4Rs™
Our 4Rs™ process method focuses on practical/tailorable actions and measurable results.
- Ethnographic assessment of the current culture
- Buy-In of Leadership
- Enterprise Communications
- Establishment of Action Teams
- Pre-Implementation Measurement of Workforce Attitudes
- New Culture Training
- Monitoring of Organizational Behavior and Habits
- Team Building Refinement and Supporting Activities
- Performance Management alignment with New Culture
- Post-Implementation Monitoring and Measurement
Culture Change Consulting Service Case Studies
WGA360™ PASS entitles the customer to receive a -60% discount on all of WGA’s fixed-scope consulting services for a monthly subscription fee of $1,999 (USD) for 12-months.
Business Transformation – We help your company accelerate, achieve and sustain results that matter. WGA Consulting’s Business Transformation services.
Diverse Organization: World-Class companies are adopting diversity and inclusion as a business strategy creating a new competitive advantage in 2019.
Mergers and Acquisitions 2019: M&A as a Core Capability – Companies focus on maturing M&A Capabilities
Mergers and Acquisitions. Companies should be adding M&A as a Core Capability in 2019. In fact, outsourcing M&A efforts is resulting in major M&A failures.
Customer Centricity, be passionate and truly put the customer comes first, commit to building relationships and be a brand that analyzes and plans.